Name: Sarah Steimer
Blog: So Hungry I Could Blog
Now, tell us about your...
1. Favorite meal, food, or cuisine: Late summer/early fall foods. Chicago gives you the option of hitting a farmer’s market pretty much every day of the week, so I’m spoiled by seasonal produce. Once August and September hit, I’m elbow-deep in heirloom tomatoes, squash, apples, and dark, leafy greens. OK, and cheese.
2. Favorite restaurant in your city: Lula Cafe! I’ve fallen hard for many a Lula dish, most recently the spring onion and nettle tamales on the brunch menu. And their cocktails? Well, it’s the only restaurant where I actually look forward to waiting for a table (at the bar).
3. Favorite restaurant outside of your city: I’m a Pittsburgh native, so I have to go with a hometown choice: Mad Mex. Solid Tex-Mex food and margaritas. Now, if you want my favorite ‘burgh restaurant secret, it’s brunch at The Zenith, which doubles as an antique store.
4. Favorite food memory: Homemade breakfast with the fam! I can’t be sure, but I think 64 percent of my childhood might have included pancakes or French toast and an oldies radio station. Basically, I spent a lot of time covered in maple syrup and knowing Temptations lyrics.
5. Favorite guilty pleasure food: Ice cream, preferably from a cool parlor. I don’t feel even a little guilty.
6. Favorite ingredient (something you love to cook with, or something you see on a menu and know you have to order): Pickled onions. I love tacos, and nothing perfects a taco like some pickled onion highlights (yeah, there are some on that Lula tamale I told you about, too).
7. Favorite recipe: Caitlin and I did a savory jam guide last August, for which I made this quick tomato jam. No special ingredients, no pectin. It paired perfectly with wine and cheese for a movie in Grant Park.
8. Favorite kitchen tool, utensil, product, etc.: A sharp knife. That’s all I ask.
Thanks so much for your thoughts, Sarah!
Do you have a blogger that you'd recommend to be featured on the Tastemaker Top 10? Or are you a blogger that would like to participate? Email me at email@example.com and let me know!