Over the past few years I have come to rely on my iPhone for just about everything: directions, weather, banking... I can stay up to speed on all of it on my iPhone. But more and more, my smart phone has become an excellent resource for supporting my food habit too! Whether it's an app designed to help me make a reservation, order delivery, or study up on the hottest happenings in the food world, there's an app for all of that. I've downloaded and uninstalled my fair share of apps, but there are a few that are still on my phone and getting tons of use... and here are my 10 favorite apps for food and wine lovers. They're all free, fun, and will make your life easier and more delicious. Cheers!
1. OpenTable - This one is my tried and true favorite. Search for restaurants in cities around the world, make a reservation right from your phone, and earn points toward dining credits for future meals when you fulfill your reservations. If you're dining out and making reservations to do so, why not also get rewarded for it? I've been using this app for years (back when it was just a website and not an app) and would recommend it to anyone.
2. Hello Vino - This app is perfect for wine drinkers. Hello Vino will suggest different wines that pair best with whatever food you're making or ordering. You can also search for wines for specific occasions, by your taste preference, and search and save your favorites.
3. Reserve - Make reservations at some of the hottest restaurants via your own Reserve concierge. One of the coolest parts of this app? Everything from the reservation right through paying the bill and tipping your server is all handled in the app. We used the app for a recent dinner at Formento's and had a great experience! Download it in the App Store and enter promo code LYCOXB in the Payment section of the app to receive a $20 credit to use toward your first Reserve reservation! Currently available in New York City, Los Angeles, Boston, San Francisco and Chicago.
4. Postmates - My newest obsession. This service is something like Uber, but for food delivery. Drivers are on hand and available around the city and assigned to pick up and deliver your food from a variety of restaurants-- even several that don't normally participate in delivery services. Confession: We've used Postmates for Chipotle delivery at least 3 times already. Use code fsvd to get a $10 credit toward your first delivery!
5. Eater - Eater is the best place to find out news in the food industry: hot new restaurants, changes in chefs/ownership, and which restaurants are coming, going, getting a facelift, or offering new menus. It's always part of my daily reading list. And the app is a great way to find their most buzzed about spots near you.
6. Grub Hub / Seamless - A classic-- or classics, now that they
are under the same ownership. These app are two of the easiest and most
well known for ordering delivery or takeout. With extensive search
options and filters, it's simple to find exactly what you're craving--
and have it come straight to your door!
7. ibotta - This one is a little different from the rest, but hear me out. If you love to cook or entertain at home, ibotta will reward you for the items you're purchasing at the grocery store. Did you buy asparagus? You earn 20 cents cash back! Maybe a bottle of Yellow Tail Wine? $1 cash back for you! ibotta will reward you on purchases at several major grocery stores, pharmacies, and big box chain stores and will give you cash back via Venmo, Paypal, or in gift cards. It's a win-win for regular grocery shoppers like me!
8. Sprig - Need an easy dinner at home that's not greasy takeout? Try Sprig! Sprig's healthy, local, chef-inspired meals rotate on a daily basis and are typically delivered in about 15 minutes. We tried the service one night and were blown away by the delicious flavor, hearty portions, and quick service. Download the free app on your phone and use code COLVIN5064 to get $10 off your first order! Currently available in San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Chicago.
9. Foodspotting - Foodspotting is the quintessential app for any foodies (like me) that photograph their restaurant meals. Snap a pic, upload it, and let other users know how you liked it-- and they'll let you know if they liked it too! One of the most compelling/addictive parts of this app is the ranking. Foodspotting ranks its global users based on likes/usage and awards badges for expertise. You're looking at an expert in Lobster Rolls, Brussels Sprouts, and Cheese Curds, among other things here.
10. ChefsFeed - Find out where the chefs are eating! I love to use this app when I'm planning my travels-- it's how I discovered the delicious Pizzeria Delfina in San Francisco. ChefsFeed features chefs who have provided lists of their favorite dishes at their favorite restaurants dozens of major US cities.