Because my parents' place is a long way from civilization, we made sure to stock the car last week with a few holiday libations to enjoy with the family up here. The house is a good 30-40 minute drive to a grocery store or liquor store where the selection is pretty basic and definitely doesn't compare to the great stuff we can get here in the city at our mega-liquor stores, local craft beer shop, or even our grocery store. So, we made a few last minute beverage runs and I know that several of you will be doing the same for your upcoming New Year's festivities. Here's a roundup of 10 beverages I am currently loving this winter. These are perfect for creating festive cocktails, toasting to friends, family, and the New Year, or just for enjoying and warming up on a cold winter's night.
1. VOVETI Prosecco -- Nothing says "celebrate" like a little bubbly and Italian prosecco is my bubbly beverage of choice. With fruity notes of green apple, peach, and melon and a creamy texture with light acidity, this is the perfect sparkling wine for proposing a toast! Serve it with some antipasti for the perfect party pairing.
2. Jolly Traveler Winter Shandy -- This is my husband's holiday pick. Already a fan of Curious Traveler-- a citrusy lemon and grapefruit-infused beer-- he totally fell for their festive Winter Shandy. Jolly Traveler is a traditional American wheat ale brewed and flavored with orange, pomegranate and warm spices that make this shandy taste like a holiday beer should.
3. Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut -- This Spanish cava blend is another fabulous bubbly option for your upcoming celebrations. With notes of apple, pear, and ginger, this sparkling wine is perfect for toasting on its own or for pairing with spicy foods-- like some Spanish-style tapas, perhaps? The sleek black bottle makes this a unique wine for gifting and through December 31st, you can enter Freixenet’s 100th Anniversary Sweepstakes for a chance to win a VIP trip for two to Barcelona to tour the world-famous winery as part of Freixenet’s centennial celebration of their first bottling too!
4. Beso del Sol Sangria -- The easiest sangria to serve at or bring to a holiday party. A blend of Spanish Tempranillo wine with fruit and citrus juices makes for a light and refreshing ready made sangria. Just add fresh fruit for a party drink to serve a crowd-- and check out my holiday sangria recipe for inspiration!
5. G'Vine Gin -- For the mixed drink lovers, G'Vine is a new twist on good old gin. A hybrid of traditional grape distillation and the new use of the rare grape vine flower, this gin has great warmth and floral notes and would be perfect shaken up into a holiday cocktail with a little citrus and cinnamon.
6. Shiner Holiday Cheer -- Another pick from my husband, the beer drinker. A Texas man, he loves Shiner Bock, but during the holidays he especially their holiday variety. With caramelized malts and flavors of peach and pecan, this is a southern twist on a festive holiday beer.
7. Samuel Adams Merry Maker -- This seasonal gingerbread stout from the brewers at Sam Adams is strong in flavor and alcohol content! Brewed with rich roasted malts and spices like cinnamon, clove, nutmeg and ginger, this beer is about as festive as it gets.
8. Uproot Wines -- If you're looking for wine to serve or drink over the holidays, Uproot is a really cool concept. Instead of describing the wine with text, Uproot uses a variety of colored blocks on each label describing the flavor palette you'll find in each bottle. The concept is great and the wine of equally good quality too.
9. Captain Morgan Spiced Rum -- Whether it's a festive holiday spiced cocktail or a hot toddy, spiced rum is the perfect mixer for a variety of winter drinks. And nobody does spiced rum better than Captain Morgan! Try it with a little apple cider-- one of my favorite simple holiday cocktail combos!
10. Juve y Camps Cava Brut Rose -- This sparkling Pinot Noir is one of my favorite sparkling wines. It's a gorgeous deep magenta color, the flavor is more intense than your typical cava or other bubbly, and it feels like drinking something a little more festive at this time of year. This wine has a lot of fruity notes and pairs well with spicy foods so serve it with something bold!
*Editor's Note: Complimentary samples of Voveti, Freixenet, Jolly Traveler, G'Vine, and Captain Morgan were provided to me in order to facilitate this post. The opinions expressed herein are my own.