The Tastemaker Top 10 is a collection of 10 questions asked by me and answered by some of my favorite bloggers. Here they will tell you a little bit about themselves, their blogs, and of course, their favorite foods and restaurants. I met Christina a few months ago at a blogging event here in Chicago and we bonded over our new homes and love for food. Christina loves dining out in Chicago (who could blame her?) and at Chritiques she provides some amazingly detailed reviews of her dining adventures. Meet Christina!
Name: Christina Solomon
Location: Chicago, IL
In a few sentences, tell us a little bit about your blog. One of my favorite hobbies is dining out and navigating the tremendous Chicago food scene. We are so lucky to live in one of the best food cities in the world, and I am always eager to try both the next new thing, as well as the tried and true restaurants that stand the test of time. Chritiques is a one stop shop for those looking for some good places to eat, and for my restaurant, food product, and event reviews.
Now, tell us about your...
1. Favorite meal, food, or cuisine: My favorite foods are always those that are fresh, local, and seasonal. I appreciate restaurants that shop the farmers' markets and include their finds in their dishes each night. After traveling to places like Italy, Greece, and Spain, I have learned that the most flavorful foods are those that are locally grown, sourced, and prepared.
2. Least favorite meal, food, or cuisine: Fast food. It embodies everything contrary to my answer above!
3. Favorite restaurant in your city: An answer to this question is extremely difficult for me. My favorites depend upon the ambiance and cuisine I am looking for, as well as who I am dining with. That being said, some current favorites include Elizabeth, Avec, Le Colonial, and Tanta.
4. Favorite restaurant outside of your city: I attended college in Nashville, and I recently returned for a visit. Nashville has a burgeoning culinary scene and I was excited to try some new restaurants. My new favorite there is Rolf and Daughters. The homemade pastas are incredible!
5. Favorite food memory: I went to Alinea for the first time in 2009 and it was my first real "foodie" experience. That dinner taught me how to appreciate the art of food and the purpose of fine dining. I have never looked at food the same way again.
6. Favorite guilty pleasure food: Dark chocolate. The darker the better - at least 80% cacoa. I'm loving the chocolate bars by Theo right now.
7. Favorite ingredient (something you love to cook with, or something you see on a menu and know you have to order): Right now, my favorite ingredient and food are squash blossoms. Whenever I see them on a menu I have to order them. I wish they were in season year round!
8. Favorite kitchen tool, utensil, product, etc.: My wood chopping block from Crate & Barrel and my Wushtof knives. I love chopping fresh vegetables!
9. Favorite thing about blogging: Making new friends and meeting wonderful people!
10. Five favorite blogs/blogs that A Squared readers should know about:
The F Bombs
The Unrelenting Passion
The Brown Fox Project
Thanks so much for your thoughts, Christina!
you have a blogger that you'd recommend to be featured on the
Tastemaker Top 10? Or are you a blogger that would like to participate?
Email me at email@example.com and let me know!